115-year-old Bronx landmark, formerly P.S. 31, to be demolished

A Bronx landmark along the Grand Concourse at East 144th Street that has been around for 115 years is slated to be torn down. City

SoBro says borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. attended the school.

SoBro says borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. attended the school. (12/11/13)

THE BRONX - A Bronx landmark along the Grand Concourse at East 144th Street that has been around for 115 years is slated to be torn down.

City officials say the building that was once home to P.S. 31 had to close its doors in 1997 because it was deemed structurally unsound. The South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation has tried to make something of the site since then, including proposals to turn it into an art space and a housing development.

SoBro says borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. attended the school.

The Department of Buildings has ordered demolition of the site, though a public hearing will be held on Dec. 17 for residents to voice their opinions on the matter.
 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

News 12 hit the streets to find out, 1 Word on the Street: Worst Highway in NYC
The incident happened on March 15, inside the 2 VIDEO: Deli Plus Grocery shooting exclusive video
Furry Friends for 3/24 - Animals for Adoption 3 Furry Friends for 3/24 - Animals for Adoption
Weekend Travel Advisory, 3/24-3/26 4 Weekend Travel Advisory, 3/24-3/26
Weekend Travel Advisory, 3/24-3/26 5 Weekend Travel Advisory, 3/24-3/26

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE