THE BRONX - A two-alarm fire in Soundview that sent 12 people to the hospital, including two in critical condition, has been ruled an accident.

Officials say it started at around 4 a.m. at 1126 Taylor Ave. The flames were contained to the basement, but smoke spread through the two-story building and to the homes connected on both sides.

According to neighbors, the father of the family living on the second floor, who has only one arm and one leg, passed two babies down off the balcony to the father of the family living on the first floor. He then jumped from the balcony to the driveway.

Fire marshals say the blaze was sparked by candles left burning, and that there were no smoke alarms in the home.