SOUNDVIEW - A fire in a Soundview apartment building Saturday left several families without a place to live.

Fire officials say the flames broke out sometime after noon. A tenant of 1148 Colgate Ave. called 911 after seeing smoke in her apartment.

Witnesses say they saw heavy smoke billowing out of the building from blocks away. The fire damaged at least four apartments on the fourth floor and it is not clear how many others were affected by smoke and water damage.

A firefighter sustained a minor back injury from falling inside the building and another individual was treated for an unknown injury.

The Red Cross stepped in to help the families find shelter.

There has been no word from fire officials on what sparked the blaze.