2-alarm Soundview apartment fire displaces families

A fire in a Soundview apartment building Saturday left several families without a place to live.Fire officials say the flames broke out sometime after noon.

SOUNDVIEW - A fire in a Soundview apartment building Saturday left several families without a place to live.

Fire officials say the flames broke out sometime after noon. A tenant of 1148 Colgate Ave. called 911 after seeing smoke in her apartment.

Witnesses say they saw heavy smoke billowing out of the building from blocks away. The fire damaged at least four apartments on the fourth floor and it is not clear how many others were affected by smoke and water damage.

A firefighter sustained a minor back injury from falling inside the building and another individual was treated for an unknown injury.

The Red Cross stepped in to help the families find shelter.

There has been no word from fire officials on what sparked the blaze.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Police say they want to talk to a 1 Police: Man wanted for questioning in Bronx burglary pattern
News 12 Interactive 2 Change to city's IDNYC policy sparks criticism
Parents say a norovirus outbreak at P.S. 83 3 Norovirus at P.S. 83 Annex sickens over 100 students
Bronx Weekend Travel Advisory, Dec.10-11 4 Bronx Weekend Travel Advisory, Dec.10-11
The Swim, Swim, Swim, I Say program, started 5 Bronx organization teaches kids, adults how to swim

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News Furry Friends

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News 12 The Bronx nightside.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE