THE BRONX - Two young girls suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in Tremont today while sitting in a car that was being dug out of the snow.

EMS officials say the 4- and 7-year-olds were found unconscious on West Tremont Avenue. They say their mother left the car running with the girls inside while she shoveled around the vehicle.

According to officials, carbon monoxide quickly began to build up inside because exhaust couldn't escape through the tailpipe, which was blocked by snow.

First responders say both children were in respiratory arrest when they arrived. The 4-year-old was taken to Bronx Lebanon Hospital, while the 7-year-old was taken to Jacobi Medical Center.

Officials say both girls are expected to recover.