THE BRONX - The Department of Education has postponed a disciplinary hearing for three middle school students who allegedly attacked a Muslim student in the Bronx.
According to published reports, on Nov. 19, three sixth-grade boys at P.S. 89 punched a 12-year-old sixth-grade girl and tried to take off her hijab, a head covering worn by Muslim women.
The report says the boys allegedly called her "ISIS" during the attack.
The Department of Education did not confirm the incident, but says it is taking it very seriously and released a statement saying, "We have a zero tolerance for hateful language in our schools. This incident was addressed by the school, and we provide support to schools across the city around creating safe and supportive environments and a community of inclusion."
Muslim advocacy groups say they are worried about a rising tide of Islamophobia, including vandalism and threats at mosques.
U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch says the Justice Department is now monitoring a wave of anti-Muslim rhetoric coming in the wake of last week's mass shooting in California.
Lynch says investigators have yet to define what exactly inspired the shooters.
The Department of Education did not comment on how the boys would be punished for their behavior.
The NYPD says it did respond to an incident at the school on that date, but do not go into details.