THE BRONX - The Office of Emergency Management says three snow-shoveling fatalities have been reported during the course of the winter storm Saturday.

The news came as Mayor Bill de Blasio updated New Yorkers on what to expect as the city continues to get pummeled by what could turn out to be a historic blizzard.

Earlier in the  day Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a travel ban for New York City, prohibiting drivers from using both roads and some capacities of public transportation in the lower portion of the state. 

Above-ground MTA services as well as bus service were suspended. 
 
The Office of Emergency Management says the NYPD responded to 270 vehicle crashes, and 300 tows.