4 firefighters injured in vacant building fire on West 169th Street in Highbridge
HIGHBRIDGE - Four firefighters were injured while battling a fire at a vacant building in Highbridge Monday afternoon.
The fire broke out shortly before 2 p.m. in an abandoned house at 129 West 169th St., near Nelson Avenue.
Fire Chief John Esposito says the fire caused part of the building to collapse in the rear. One of the firefighters suffered neck and back injuries in the collapse.
Read More: Bronx Top Stories
It took authorities a little over two hours to get the flames under control. Firefighters have since made sure smoldering in the back of the building doesn't reignite.
Esposito says the building was in poor condition before the fire and that this wasn't the first time they had responded to a fire at the building.
The Department of Buildings will be on site Tuesday to assess the building's stability.