5 injured in bakery gas fire explosion

Five people were sent to the hospital this morning after a gas fire explosion inside Champion Bakery in Wakefield.According to Con Edison, a gas leak

THE BRONX - Five people were sent to the hospital this morning after a gas fire explosion inside Champion Bakery in Wakefield.

According to Con Edison, a gas leak in one of the bakery's commercial ovens caused the oven doors to fly open, shooting flames into the kitchen. Two workers were burned and three others were thrown across the room from the blast.

Officials say the explosion shattered the shop's glass windows and blew the metal security gate off the store front. Firefighters and Con Edison workers were able to turn the gas off quickly.

Fire officials say the workers were taken to Jacobi Medical Center with minor injuries and are expected to be OK.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Con Edison has offered a few tips you 1 Con Ed offers storm safety tips
VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks 2 VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks neighbors
Man loses finger after machete attack in the 3 Man loses finger after machete attack in the Bronx
Police have made an arrest in connection with 4 Police arrest man accused of hiding body parts at Hunts Point waste station
Norwood residents are advocating for more security and 5 Residents demand better security, lighting after man beaten in lobby

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE