THE BRONX - Five people were sent to the hospital this morning after a gas fire explosion inside Champion Bakery in Wakefield.

According to Con Edison, a gas leak in one of the bakery's commercial ovens caused the oven doors to fly open, shooting flames into the kitchen. Two workers were burned and three others were thrown across the room from the blast.

Officials say the explosion shattered the shop's glass windows and blew the metal security gate off the store front. Firefighters and Con Edison workers were able to turn the gas off quickly.

Fire officials say the workers were taken to Jacobi Medical Center with minor injuries and are expected to be OK.