5 suffer minor injuries in apartment fire on East 233rd Street in Wakefield

Five people were injured in an apartment fire Sunday morning in Wakefield. Firefighters say a lit candle in the bathroom was the cause of the

Firefighters say a candle started the fire in the bathroom.

Firefighters say a candle started the fire in the bathroom. (2/16/14)

WAKEFIELD - Five people were injured in an apartment fire Sunday morning in Wakefield.

Firefighters say a lit candle in the bathroom was the cause of the raging fire in a fifth-floor apartment on East 233rd Street. The four young adults in the apartment called 911 at around 10:30 a.m., then ran downstairs to alert their mother, who was shopping at a nearby store. 

Two people in the building and three firefighters were taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The fire chief says it took about 40 minutes to get the fire under control. The one apartment was badly burnt, but the rest of the building didn't sustain any damage.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A 21-year-old was critically injured after crashing his 1 21-year-old critically injured in crash on Bronx River Parkway
A violent brawl captured on video Thursday night 2 City Island restaurant brawl captured on video
Police say Timothy Hairston, 27, was shot to 3 Police: Man shot, killed on E. 165th Street
Students at Riverdale Country School are getting the 4 Students at Riverdale Country showcase their art
The pontiff has broken the mold of his 5 Pope Francis is Person of the Year

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE