5 suffer minor injuries in apartment fire on East 233rd Street in Wakefield

Five people were injured in an apartment fire Sunday morning in Wakefield. Firefighters say a lit candle in the bathroom was the cause of the

Firefighters say a candle started the fire in the bathroom.

Firefighters say a candle started the fire in the bathroom. (2/16/14)

WAKEFIELD - Five people were injured in an apartment fire Sunday morning in Wakefield.

Firefighters say a lit candle in the bathroom was the cause of the raging fire in a fifth-floor apartment on East 233rd Street. The four young adults in the apartment called 911 at around 10:30 a.m., then ran downstairs to alert their mother, who was shopping at a nearby store. 

Two people in the building and three firefighters were taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The fire chief says it took about 40 minutes to get the fire under control. The one apartment was badly burnt, but the rest of the building didn't sustain any damage.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The website Glassdoor released its latest list of 1 Word on the Street: Best place to work
2 VIDEO: 2 men rob Bronx deli workers at gunpoint
3 VIDEO: Suspect in Sheridan Avenue murder escorted by police
A stolen van slammed into a tractor-trailer on 4 NYPD: Fleeing driver slams stolen van into tractor-trailer
5 Bronx Sportscast, Dec. 6

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News Furry Friends

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News 12 The Bronx nightside.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE