THE BRONX - An apartment fire on Carter Avenue left a 70-year-old woman injured and many of her belongings scorched Monday evening.

Firefighters rummaged through a mess in the apartment that included piles of trash mixed in with personal belongings as part of the investigation into what sparked the flames.

They say the mess inside the apartment made it difficult for rescuers to operate.

The injured woman shared the apartment with another woman who was not home at the time of the blaze, according to officials.

The victim was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital. Officials have not released her condition.