THE BRONX - Nine people were injured this morning after flames tore through an apartment building in Hunts Point.

Officials say they responded to a fire on Gilbert Place shortly after 5 a.m. Tenant Monique Sanchez says the fire started in her third-floor apartment after she was forced to light candles when the building superintendent shut off her electricity.

Two EMS workers are also being hailed heroes for helping save the lives of several residents. Officials say the men were passing by when they first saw the flames and rushed to help.

Officials say the EMS workers saved a child and family from the fire and resuscitated a woman in her 30s after firefighters found her unconscious.

Others injured during the fire include a child, police officer and an EMS worker. All of the victims were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.