WAKEFIELD - Residents of a house on Wickham Avenue say that electrical problems are forcing them to move out.

The tenants say that the wiring issues have been going on for over a year. They say the smell of burning plastic fills the building.

The tenants accuse their landlord of using illegal boilers and heaters.

One resident says she saw sparks emerging from her appliances on Tuesday. She says she called Con Edison to report the issue.

She also says that the faulty wiring damaged life-sustaining equipment her son needs to survive.

Officials have cited the home on multiple violations, and say it needs to be gutted and rebuilt. Despite the violations, the Department of Housing Preservation and Development says that the power was not shut down so that the child could continue using that equipment.

The landlord did not respond to requests from News 12 for comment.