Basement fire cuts apartment complex electricity in Soundview

A basement fire led to power problems for some Soundview residents last night.Fire officials say they believe electrical wires caught fire under an apartment complex

SOUNDVIEW - A basement fire led to power problems for some Soundview residents last night.

Fire officials say they believe electrical wires caught fire under an apartment complex on Thieriot Avenue. They say firefighters were able to get the flames under control quickly, and crews aired out the building.

Officials say there was no sign of carbon monoxide, but residents still say they were concerned. "There was a smell in the air," resident Oscar Velez said. "I don't want to be upstairs with all the smoke."

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Police say they want to talk to a 1 Police: Man wanted for questioning in Bronx burglary pattern
2 VIDEO: Suspect in Sheridan Avenue murder escorted by police
Bronx Weekend Travel Advisory, Dec.10-11 3 Bronx Weekend Travel Advisory, Dec.10-11
Parents say a norovirus outbreak at P.S. 83 4 Norovirus at P.S. 83 Annex sickens over 100 students
VIDEO: Winter Wonderland at Yankee Stadium 5 VIDEO: Winter Wonderland at Yankee Stadium

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News Furry Friends

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News 12 The Bronx nightside.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE