Bill proposed to add some English to all store signs

Two City Council members have proposed a bill that would require all store names and addresses be displayed in English.New York City Council members Dan

THE BRONX - Two City Council members have proposed a bill that would require all store names and addresses be displayed in English.

New York City Council members Dan Halloran and Peter Koo are sponsoring the bill.  The bill would require businesses to present at least 60 percent of their signage in English and allow for the other 40 percent to be in any other language.

They say many store signs in The Bronx are displayed in other languages and that it makes it difficult for fire and EMS first responders to respond to emergencies, and cuts down on outside consumerism.

If passed, the bill would give business owners up to four years to change existing signs and shop awnings.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

News 12 hit the streets to find out, 1 Word on the Street: Worst Highway in NYC
The incident happened on March 15, inside the 2 VIDEO: Deli Plus Grocery shooting exclusive video
The Hutchinson River Parkway is named for Anne 3 Women's History Month: Anne Hutchinson
A relatively short-lived wave formation, usually on the 4 5 New clouds added to International Cloud Atlas
Hundreds were on hand to honor an FDNY 5 Family, friends to say final goodbye to fallen FDNY EMT

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE