FORDHAM - A Burger King and Popeyes fast food restaurant in Fordham has been closed after diners claimed they saw a rat.

Two teenage girls say they were sitting down when the rat climbed up one of their legs. The girl says she thought it was her friend at first but when she saw the rat make its way to her arm, she screamed. A woman sitting next to the girls says everyone inside stood up when they heard the girl screaming.

The woman claims when the employees and manager realized what happened, they asked everyone to leave. She says the reason they were given was that there was a gas leak.

The restaurant on East Fordham Road has had previous problems with rats in 2011 and 2013. It's listed with an "A" rating on the Department of Health's website.

The Health Department says it checked for evidence of vermin and conditions conducive to their presence and did not see any problems.