BX shelter evacuated; 50 people hospitalized

Nearly 50 people living in a homeless shelter on Manor Avenue were taken to the hospital Friday night after allegedly inhaling chemical fumes.Residents at 1101

THE BRONX - Nearly 50 people living in a homeless shelter on Manor Avenue were taken to the hospital Friday night after allegedly inhaling chemical fumes.

Residents at 1101 Manor Ave. say their building was evacuated after the chemicals sprayed inside the bodega on the ground floor started emitting fumes, sickening tenants.

"I thought I was having an asthma attack, but I had never had an asthma attack like that," says Esmie Clerk.

Raul Roman says his 13-year-old son likely saved his life by waking him up in the middle of the night.

"We were in deep sleep, and who knows what could have happened," he says.

Roman and close to 50 other tenants, including several children, were taken to Bronx Lebanon Hospital and treated with oxygen masks.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A violent brawl captured on video Thursday night 1 City Island restaurant brawl captured on video
Weekend Travel Advisory, 2/24 to 2/26 2 Weekend Travel Advisory, 2/24 to 2/26
The victim's family tells News 12 emergency officials 3 VIDEO: Fatal apartment fire on Andrews Avenue
Bronx Rises Against Gun Violence, or BRAG, says 4 Group celebrates 1 year without shootings in target area
Filming has started on a new movie starring 5 The Buzz: Kevin Hart movie shoots in the Bronx

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE