THE BRONX - Nearly 50 people living in a homeless shelter on Manor Avenue were taken to the hospital Friday night after allegedly inhaling chemical fumes.

Residents at 1101 Manor Ave. say their building was evacuated after the chemicals sprayed inside the bodega on the ground floor started emitting fumes, sickening tenants.

"I thought I was having an asthma attack, but I had never had an asthma attack like that," says Esmie Clerk.

Raul Roman says his 13-year-old son likely saved his life by waking him up in the middle of the night.

"We were in deep sleep, and who knows what could have happened," he says.

Roman and close to 50 other tenants, including several children, were taken to Bronx Lebanon Hospital and treated with oxygen masks.