Carbon monoxide scare causes evacuation in Mount Eden

Stores along a section of East 170th Street in Mount Eden had to close down after high carbon monoxide (CO) levels were detected.Firefighters forced the

MOUNT EDEN - Stores along a section of East 170th Street in Mount Eden had to close down after high carbon monoxide (CO) levels were detected.

Firefighters forced the stores to close and evacuated those inside those stores until the gas dissipated three hours later.

Officials deemed that a malfunctioning generator in a store's basement was the cause of the CO gas.

Many stores keep their doors open after the firefighters declared it safe just to be extra sure.

No injuries were reported because of the CO gas.

CO poisoning symptoms include headache, nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath. Officials advise anyone who thinks they are suffering from CO poisoning to get outside or seek medical attention immediately.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Police say they want to talk to a 1 Police: Man wanted for questioning in Bronx burglary pattern
Parents say a norovirus outbreak at P.S. 83 2 Norovirus at P.S. 83 Annex sickens over 100 students
3 VIDEO: Suspect in Sheridan Avenue murder escorted by police
Bronx Weekend Travel Advisory, Dec.10-11 4 Bronx Weekend Travel Advisory, Dec.10-11
Sophia Lamb, 44, was found by her mother 5 Woman found fatally stabbed in Co-op City

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News Furry Friends

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News 12 The Bronx nightside.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE