City Council holds swine flu hearing

THE BRONX - The City Council on Thursday held a hearing to gauge the city's response to the swine flu outbreak.

Joseph Bruno, commissioner of the city's Department of Emergency Management, testified that the outbreak has already cost the city $10 million. Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley says the health department alone has spent $4 million.

The testimony comes on the heels of the World Health Organization declaring a swine flu pandemic, as infections climb to nearly 30,000 cases worldwide. There have been 15 swine flu-related deaths in the city so far, three of which were announced Wednesday.

United Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten testified at the hearing that the death of a Brooklyn student last week was related to swine flu.

Weingarten says the student, who attended Urban Assembly School for Criminal Justice, had underlying health issues. A representative from the Department of Education says the school will not be closed.

AP wire services were used in this report.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A body was found in the wooded area 1 Body found in wooded area near Eastchester bowling alley
April 28 is Superhero Day. News 12 hit 2 Word on the Street: Superhero Day
NYPD officers gathered Friday in Longwood for the 3 NYPD officers walk for autism in Longwood
A kid from the Bronx is one of 4 Actor from the Bronx stars in '13 Reasons Why'
A 3-year-old girl died after a car accident 5 3-year-old killed in crash on Bruckner Boulevard

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE