City health campaign helps fight colon cancer

PELHAM - A city health campaign is helping to fight colon cancer in The Bronx and according to doctors, they've seen an increase in screenings in minority communities.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg says 66 percent of New Yorkers were tested last year, the majority of them African-Americans and Latinos.

Health officials attribute the increase to the Take Care New York initiative, which provides free colon cancer screenings to people without insurance. 

Dr. Douglas Simon, of Jacobi Medical Center, says the rise in screenings is good news because the risk of getting colorectal cancer is 20 percent higher in African-Americans and Latinos.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Suspected gang members arrested in the Bronx 1 VIDEO: Suspected gang members arrested in the Bronx
2 Neighborhood Brief for April 23
3 Bronx Sportscast, April 21
Woman claims Fitbit exploded on her wrist 4 Woman claims Fitbit exploded on her wrist
Some local health workers are pushing a new 5 Health workers push Healthy Beverage Zone challenge

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE