(09/24/07) THE BRONX &舑; The New York City Department of Transportation announced Monday that short-term safety improvements around the most accident-prone schools are nearly complete.

DOT Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan said 97 percent of improvements under the organization&舗;s Safe Routes to School initiative have been completed. In addition, Sadik-Khan said the next 135 public, private and parochial elementary schools will be identified for safety upgrades this winter. Forty high schools are also slated for enhancements.

According to Sadik-Khan, the safety measures aren&舗;t a one-size-fits-all solution. She said they are tailored to each school.

One of the priority schools previously included in the initiative is PS 21. While safety enhancements have been added around that school, some parents are skeptical. They say they&舗;d like to still see an additional stoplight added at Barnes Avenue.

Related information: New York City Department of Transportation School Safety Map Locator