Dramatic rescue prompts fire safety

An apartment fire where a young mother dangled her young baby out of a fourth-floor window Sunday has prompted questions about fire safety.Officials say that

THE BRONX - An apartment fire where a young mother dangled her young baby out of a fourth-floor window Sunday has prompted questions about fire safety.

Officials say that during a fire those trapped inside should get into one room together with a window. After stuffing a towel or cloth under the door to prevent smoke inhalation, residents should open the top and bottom parts of the window very slowly.

Through the window, victims should motion to firefighters or passersby that there is a fire. If small children are in the room, someone should place a hand over their mouths to prevent smoke inhalation.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks 1 VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks neighbors
Con Edison has offered a few tips you 2 Con Ed offers storm safety tips
Police have made an arrest in connection with 3 Police arrest man accused of hiding body parts at Hunts Point waste station
Norwood residents are advocating for more security and 4 Residents demand better security, lighting after man beaten in lobby
Man loses finger after machete attack in the 5 Man loses finger after machete attack in the Bronx

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE