THE BRONX - An elderly man was rushed to the hospital after an early morning fire in Morrisania.

According to the fire chief, flames broke out inside the victim's third-floor bedroom at 270 East 162nd St. at around 6 a.m., and were contained to the one room.

Officials say 86-year-old Theodore Washington was released from Lincoln Hospital after being treated for smoke inhalation.

Other residents say there are smoke detectors in the building, but none of them went off, forcing them to rely on each other to get everyone outside safely.