Experts offer space heater safety tips

After broken wiring to a space heater caused a large apartment fire in Beaumont Monday, experts are sharing tips residents can use to more safely

After broken wiring to a space heater caused a large apartment fire in Beaumont Monday, experts are sharing tips residents can use to more safely use similar appliances.

After broken wiring to a space heater caused a large apartment fire in Beaumont Monday, experts are sharing tips residents can use to more safely use similar appliances. (1/19/17)

THE BRONX - After broken wiring to a space heater caused a large apartment fire in Beaumont Monday, experts are sharing tips residents can use to more safely use similar appliances.

Kenneth Nunez, the manager of NHS Hardware in Wakefield, says people should place space heaters on level ground away from anything flammable, like cloth items.

He also says space heaters should not be connected to extension cords. The FDNY blames a damaged extension cord connected to the space heater in Beaumont for that fire.

"Never connect an extension cord to a space heater because the current is too strong for the actual space heater," Nunez says.

He also recommends using an outlet that has nothing else connected to it and purchasing a space heater that is large enough that it won't tip over.

The FDNY also says residents should not use space heaters in bathrooms or near water. 

Fire officials also say residents should only buy space heaters marked with the UL symbol, for the Underwriters Laboratories.

Lastly, experts say parents should not leave children or pets unattended in rooms with space heaters.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A 21-year-old was critically injured after crashing his 1 21-year-old critically injured in crash on Bronx River Parkway
Barre originates from ballet, and similarly aims to 2 Ready, Set, Fit: Barre
Mount St. Michael wins CHSAA Archdiocesan title 3 Mount St. Michael wins CHSAA Archdiocesan title
US director Barry Jenkins (C) speaks after 4 'Moonlight' wins best picture at botched Academy Awards
Authorities say 10 people were injured when a 5 10 injured in Morrisania apartment fire

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

A two-alarm fire broke out inside an apartment 3 injured in Bronx apartment fire

A Bronx family is homeless after a fire tore through three apartments Monday morning.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE