SOUNDVIEW - While December has been a quiet month so far, falling temperatures this week will have it finally feeling like winter in The Bronx. According to the FDNY, heating devices are one of the leading causes for winter house fires, so safety is necessary when staying warm this winter.

When using space heaters, remember to never to use an extension cord and always turn it off and unplug it when going to sleep or leaving the house. A stove or oven should also never be used to heat the house. Residents are also advised to make sure all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors work.

Building owners are required to provide tenants with heat and hot water. The city reminds all tenants that if they're not receiving either to notify their superintendent and if heat is not restored, to call 311 and ask for the city's Citizen Service Center. The center is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.