THE BRONX - Fire officials say a blaze that killed two girls and injured at least 10 others in the Bronx was sparked by burning incense left unattended.

Officials say the two girls, 18-month-old Amanda Jabie and 2-year-old Jannubi Jabie, died after being rushed to a hospital in critical condition with third-degree burns.

NYPD officers escorted the girls' mother to a waiting police van Thursday. Police would not comment on where she was taken, but she had been questioned and released earlier in the day without being charged.

Surveillance video shows the mother, identified as 26-year-old Haya Conce, in a laundromat nearby for around 40 minutes before appearing to notice the apartment building was on fire and running toward it.

The fire began in a third-floor apartment of the Butler Houses on Webster Avenue in Claremont at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.

FDNY Deputy Chief Gary Rocco said firefighters found heavy smoke and fire in the apartment.

Seven other people and three firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Police say the children were left home alone at the time of the fire while their mother was across the street at a laundromat. According to time stamps on video surveillance that News 12 obtained from the laundromat, the mother had been inside the establishment for at least 40 minutes.

Witnesses say the mother ran back toward the apartment once she realized there was a fire, but collapsed to the ground when she could not get inside. 

The blaze was brought under control in less than an hour.