FDNY: Careless smoking caused fatal Bedford Park fire

THE BRONX - The FDNY says that a fatal fire in Bedford Park on Monday night was started by careless smoking.

Joanna Govanail, 70, was killed when flames broke out inside her 205th Street studio apartment where she lived alone. Officials say that a woman living above Govanail was taken to the hospital due to smoke in the building.

The building's super says that fire damage to Govanail's apartment has made it unlivable.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Engineers are working to secure the structure of 1 VIDEO: NTSB officials give update Sunday on Hoboken crash
2 Neighborhood Brief for April 30
The beginning of spring means the kickoff of 3 Carnivals begin to bloom in the Bronx
A Bronx woman is demanding justice for her 4 Police: Duo robbed, beat man on Morris Avenue
VIDEO: Gov. Cuomo's news conference on Kosciuszko Bridge 5 VIDEO: Gov. Cuomo's news conference on Kosciuszko Bridge

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE