Fire breaks out inside 138th Street building

Flames ignited inside the basement of a building on 138th Street this morning, filling a Mexican restaurant on the first floor with smoke.Firefighters who responded

THE BRONX - Flames ignited inside the basement of a building on 138th Street this morning, filling a Mexican restaurant on the first floor with smoke.Firefighters who responded to the call say it appears that the fire was caused by an electrical problem. Fire Chief Jim Donlevy says once the flames were extinguished, firefighters proceeded to abate the high levels of carbon monoxide that were detected on the upper floors of the building. No one was injured. The fire did not affect the restaurant above the basement, but it sustained some water and smoke damage. The owner hopes to clean up the eatery and reopen by Monday.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

News 12 The Bronx hit the streets to 1 Word on the Street: People who take selfies
Tips to stay commited to your fitness resolution 2 Tips to stay committed to your fitness resolution
Puerto Ricans in one Bronx community officially wrapped 3 Puerto Ricans wrap up holiday season in Kingsbridge
A 17-year-old boy was shot in the hand 4 Police: Teen shot after argument in the Bronx
Isaiah Williams is currently in the hospital recovering 5 Man recovering after deadly Boston Road crash

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE