Fire marshal: Candle caused deadly Prospect Ave. fire

THE BRONX - Fire marshals have determined that a candle was to blame for a fast-moving fire that killed a family of three on Prospect Avenue back in April.

Christian Garcia, 12, and his parents, Juan Lopez and Christina Garcia, were killed in the apartment fire.

Officials say the building had been illegally subdivided and access to fire escapes was blocked.

Con Edison says the building had no power at the time because there was no record of anyone living there.

1 child, 2 adults dead in Belmont fireInvestigators: Building of fatal fire illegally dividedNeighbors: Inspectors blocked from Prospect Ave. building

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 Bronx Sportscast, April 24
2 Word on the Street: Dating apps and self-esteem
VIDEO: Suspected gang members arrested in the Bronx 3 VIDEO: Suspected gang members arrested in the Bronx
A man was attacked and robbed inside his 4 Man attacked by 2 teens inside apartment building
The owner of a Chinese restaurant in the 5 Victim speaks of terrifying attack inside Bronx apartment building

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE