Fire marshal: Candle caused deadly Prospect Ave. fire

Fire marshals have determined that a candle was to blame for a fast-moving fire that killed a family of three on Prospect Avenue back in

THE BRONX - Fire marshals have determined that a candle was to blame for a fast-moving fire that killed a family of three on Prospect Avenue back in April.

Christian Garcia, 12, and his parents, Juan Lopez and Christina Garcia, were killed in the apartment fire.

Officials say the building had been illegally subdivided and access to fire escapes was blocked.

Con Edison says the building had no power at the time because there was no record of anyone living there.

1 child, 2 adults dead in Belmont fireInvestigators: Building of fatal fire illegally dividedNeighbors: Inspectors blocked from Prospect Ave. building

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A violent brawl captured on video Thursday night 1 City Island restaurant brawl captured on video
Weekend Travel Advisory, 2/24 to 2/26 2 Weekend Travel Advisory, 2/24 to 2/26
The victim's family tells News 12 emergency officials 3 VIDEO: Fatal apartment fire on Andrews Avenue
Bronx Rises Against Gun Violence, or BRAG, says 4 Group celebrates 1 year without shootings in target area
A 78-year-old woman was killed in a fire 5 78-year-old woman killed in Morris Heights apartment fire

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE