PARKCHESTER - A fire that ripped through a Parkchester apartment building Wednesday sent several people to the hospital.

The blaze started around 11 a.m., according to tenants of 1910 Benedict Ave. Officials say dozens of fire trucks responded to the call, and several tenants were taken to Jacobi Medical Center. Among them were a mother and her child, who officials say were having trouble breathing.

?I walked around the corner and that's when I saw a burst of flames - there was smoke everywhere,? says resident Wes Alexander.

It is still unknown how many tenants of the building have been displaced. An investigation into the blaze is ongoing.