FORDHAM - A gas leak ignited into flames near Park Avenue and East 188th Street Tuesday, injuring several workers, according to Con Ed.

Firefighters say four workers were drilling at the corner when they hit a gas line and sparked the flames.

Con Ed spokesman Allan Drury earlier told News 12 that two of the workers are Con Ed employees and one is a contractor. It's unclear what the fourth worker's connection is to the project.

EMS says four victims were taken to Jacobi Medical Center with burns to their faces and upper bodies.

Pictures of the scene taken by News 12 viewer Rolando Villanueva appear to show flames taller than a nearby box truck.

Officials say the victims suffered minor injuries and are expected to be OK.

The scent of gas was still present at the scene hours after the explosion.

Although the flames have been extinguished, firefighters say it could take several hours before the area is once again determined to be safe.