Gas leak spurs evacuations in Morris Heights
THE BRONX - A gas leak prompted residents to evacuate from two apartment buildings in Morris Heights on Saturday.
Authorities say the leak sprang from a sewer in the street and began seeping into the basement of 19-99 Morris Ave.
Con Edison crews and firefighters were called to the scene. After doing some excavation work, a crack was detected in a gas line.
Read More: Bronx Top Stories
Tenants say the air smelled of gas and they feared an explosion. "We don't want the same thing to happen to us as what happened in Harlem," said resident Noreen Gonzalez. "Everybody's afraid now around here, so I think that this should be checked all the time so it won't happen again."
Con Edison says it installed a temporary clamp over the pipeline. It will remain in place until a decision is made to repair the entire cracked piece.