Gov.: More city, BX families can sign up for food stamps

THE BRONX - More residents in the Bronx and the rest of the city will now be able to sign up for food stamps.Governor Spitzer (D-NY) announced the federal government has approved changes in the program's guidelines. According to the governor, families with an adult working 30 hours a week or with two adults working 20 hours each will be allowed to apply for benefits online. Families would previously have to qualify in a face-to-face interview.The state will now also get $200 million annually in federal funding for the program. Among other changes for the program, Spitzer says resource limits will be eliminated for low-income food stamp recipients. The governor says the change will allow families to start saving for their own needs without risking their benefits.Spitzer claims the changes mean 100,000 additional households will be able to receive food stamps.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Interview with former Suffolk County Executive Steve 1 VIDEO: Interview with former Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy
VIDEO: Interview with SUNY Old Westbury President Dr. 2 VIDEO: Interview with SUNY Old Westbury president
3 Bronx Sportscast, April 27
Bronx residents have long complained about long lines, 4 The Buzz: Post office problems
Amtrak says it plans to fix the aging 5 Plan to fix Penn Station problems could affect LIRR riders

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE