Grand Concourse fire victims reach out for help

Victims of an Easter Sunday fire at a Grand Concourse building reached out to elected officials and government agencies for help Friday. One person died

THE BRONX - Victims of an Easter Sunday fire at a Grand Concourse building reached out to elected officials and government agencies for help Friday.

One person died and dozens were injured in the fire earlier this month at 1749 Grand Concourse. At Friday's meeting, residents said that although the flames are gone, the root problems remain. The fire alarm system that's been broken for years still hasn't been fixed, residents complained. In addition, the Health Department said the building has mold and lead paint violations. The building is also without gas due to the fire, and Con Edison doesn't expect service to return for at least another month.

An attorney encouraged tenants at the meeting to file a class action lawsuit against the building's owner in family court. Government and elected officials' representatives said they'd take the information back and see what changes they can make.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Police say a 44-year-old Schuylerville man was stabbed 1 Police: Schuylerville man stabbed to death
We asked Bronx residents if they believe in 2 Word on the Street: Extraterrestrial life
National Be Humble Day encourages people to go 3 Word on the Street: Be Humble Day
At least seven alleged gang member were arrested 4 7 arrested after gang takedown in the Bronx
A Bronx landlord accused of stabbing his tenant 5 Landlord accused of stabbing tenant to death in the Bronx

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE