High carbon monoxide levels force Bronx evacuation

Residents of 2830 Olinville Ave. were rushed out in the cold Sunday morning due to dangerous carbon monoxide levels.Tenants say their electricity went out around

THE BRONX - Residents of 2830 Olinville Ave. were rushed out in the cold Sunday morning due to dangerous carbon monoxide levels.

Tenants say their electricity went out around 7 a.m. shortly before their battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors went off. Con Edison officials say they had problems fighting a manhole fire because a car was parked on top of the spot. The delay caused carbon monoxide to seep into the nearby building.

Firefighters evacuated half of the building, while the other tenants were just advised to open their windows. MTA buses stood by to keep residents warm as they waited.

High levels of carbon monoixde can cause serious headaches and flu-like symptoms, however, no one was injured in the incident.

Con Edison expected to have all residents back in their units sometime Sunday once the building was completely aired out.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 Bronx Sportscast, Dec. 6
2 VIDEO: Suspect in Sheridan Avenue murder escorted by police
3 VIDEO: 2 men rob Bronx deli workers at gunpoint
Word on the Street: Amazon Go's checkout-free grocery 4 Word on the Street: Amazon Go's checkout-free grocery store
A thief swiped a cash register from a 5 Sources: Thief stole cash register, then cab as getaway car

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News Furry Friends

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News 12 The Bronx nightside.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE