Homeless shelter evacuated after manhole explosion on Crotona Avenue in Belmont

More than 50 people were evacuated from a homeless shelter in Belmont this morning after a manhole exploded in front of the building.

More than 50 people were evacuated from a

More than 50 people were evacuated from a homeless shelter in Belmont this morning after a manhole exploded in front of the building. (Credit: News 12 The Bronx)

THE BRONX - More than 50 people were evacuated from a homeless shelter in Belmont this morning after a manhole exploded in front of the building.

It happened at around 5:15 a.m. on Crotona Avenue. People who live in the Thorpe Family Residence say they heard a massive boom and their lights began flickering.

Fire crews arrived to discover that carbon monoxide levels were extremely high in the area. The 16 mothers and 45 children who live in the shelter were evacuated while Con Edison crews addressed the situation.

The Department of Homeless Services sent a bus for families to wait in. By 8 a.m., everyone was let back into their home after carbon monoxide levels dropped.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The students at The Bronx Academy for Software 1 Local school celebrates Computer Science Education Week
2 VIDEO: Suspect in Sheridan Avenue murder escorted by police
The Buzz: sisters killed in radiator malfunction 3 The Buzz: sisters killed in radiator malfunction
4 VIDEO: 2 men rob Bronx deli workers at gunpoint
The former tenant who lived in the same 5 Former tenant says she reported malfunctioning radiator that killed sisters in 2015

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News Furry Friends

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News 12 The Bronx nightside.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE