Homeless shelter evacuated after manhole explosion on Crotona Avenue in Belmont

More than 50 people were evacuated from a homeless shelter in Belmont this morning after a manhole exploded in front of the building. (4/13/14)

THE BRONX - More than 50 people were evacuated from a homeless shelter in Belmont this morning after a manhole exploded in front of the building.

It happened at around 5:15 a.m. on Crotona Avenue. People who live in the Thorpe Family Residence say they heard a massive boom and their lights began flickering.

Fire crews arrived to discover that carbon monoxide levels were extremely high in the area. The 16 mothers and 45 children who live in the shelter were evacuated while Con Edison crews addressed the situation.

Read More: Bronx Top Stories

The Department of Homeless Services sent a bus for families to wait in. By 8 a.m., everyone was let back into their home after carbon monoxide levels dropped.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12