Lewis and Clark Special Education students, staff take precautions after MRSA case found

Students and teachers are taking precautions after a case of MRSA was found inside a Bronx school. The Department of Education called the case an

The Department of Education called the case an isolated incident inside Lewis and Clark Special Education on Tratman Avenue.

The Department of Education called the case an isolated incident inside Lewis and Clark Special Education on Tratman Avenue. (11/12/13)

THE BRONX - Students and teachers are taking precautions after a case of MRSA was found inside a Bronx school.

The Department of Education called the case an isolated incident inside Lewis and Clark Special Education on Tratman Avenue. Still, students, teachers and staff wore plastic gloves inside the building today.

MRSA is an infection caused by a strain of staph bacteria that’s become resistant to antibiotics. The DOE says the MRSA infections are common and cannot spread from person to person unless there is close contact such as a school wrestling match.

The DOE would not comment on why the staff and students were given gloves or who was affected by the infection.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 VIDEO: Interview with parents of Bronx teen who died on mission trip
We asked Bronx residents if they believe in 2 Word on the Street: Extraterrestrial life
At least seven alleged gang member were arrested 3 7 arrested after gang takedown in the Bronx
Baltimore police say they are investigating the shootings 4 MD police: 8 shot, 1 dead in Baltimore
A 78-year-old woman was killed after a fire 5 78-year-old woman killed in Morris Heights apartment fire

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE