THE BRONX - Community leaders urged the Bronx district attorney to drop charges Wednesday against Mamadou Diallo, the Bronx man charged with assault and weapons possession in the death of a man who attempted to rape his wife.

Prosecutors said they were still waiting for results from an autopsy. Diallo's lawyer said the delays are taking an emotional and financial toll on his client's life.

"I don't want trouble, trouble came to me," Diallo said. The 61-year-old livery cab driver has been unable to return to work since his arrest.

"We appreciate the efforts of the DA, but it shouldn't take this long," said Diallo's lawyer, Anthony Michaels. "We shouldn't be in limbo. This case should be dismissed." 

Diallo is accused of beating Earl Nash to death with a tire iron. As News 12 has previously reported, the 43-year-old Nash entered Diallo's apartment and tried to rape his wife and another female relative.

Diallo is due back in court on Sept. 7.