Manhole fire causes residents to lose electricity

About 500 power outages were reported the Mott Haven section of the Bronx Friday morning caused by a manhole fire.Firefighters evacuated more than 40 families

MOTT HAVEN - About 500 power outages were reported the Mott Haven section of the Bronx Friday morning caused by a manhole fire.

Firefighters evacuated more than 40 families in the area due to carbon monoxide concerns. The families have been since let back into their homes.

The heat wave has broken, but residents say it was still too uncomfortable to sleep during a power outage.

Power is expected to return today.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

News 12 The Bronx asked residents what they 1 Word on the Street: Oscars mix-up
New affordable housing is making its way to 2 Affordable housing comes to Crotona Park East
Police say Timothy Hairston, 27, was shot to 3 Police: Man shot, killed on E. 165th Street
VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks 4 VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks neighbors
An 18-year-old man was slashed in the neck 5 Police: Man slashed in neck after argument

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE