More charges expected in local terror plot

BROOKLYN - (AP) - Federal authorities expect to file more chargesin an alleged plot by an al-Qaida associate to attack New York Citywith homemade bombs, a prosecutor said Thursday.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Knox told a judge the chargeswould be contained in a new indictment against Najibullah Zazi, aColorado airport van driver arrested earlier this year on chargesof conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction.

"I think it's likely there will be additional charges," Knoxsaid at a pretrial hearing in federal court in Brooklyn. "Theinvestigation continues."

The prosecutor didn't specify the charges, or say whether theindictment would name more defendants. He called the evidence inthe case "voluminous."

Zazi, who sat motionless at the defense table during the15-minute hearing, was ordered to return to court on Feb. 16.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Engineers are working to secure the structure of 1 VIDEO: NTSB officials give update Sunday on Hoboken crash
2 Neighborhood Brief for April 30
The beginning of spring means the kickoff of 3 Carnivals begin to bloom in the Bronx
A Bronx woman is demanding justice for her 4 Police: Duo robbed, beat man on Morris Avenue
VIDEO: Gov. Cuomo's news conference on Kosciuszko Bridge 5 VIDEO: Gov. Cuomo's news conference on Kosciuszko Bridge

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE