MTA won't cut kids' free passes

NEW YORK - (AP) - The agency that runs New York City's massive bus and subway system says it has decided to abandon a proposal to eliminate free transit passes for students.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's board in December reluctantly approved an $11 billion budget that included plans to cut service and leave children without MetroCards for free and discounted rides to public schools. It was trying to close an $800 million budget gap.

Residents complained at public hearings. And last week about 1,000 high school students marched across the Brooklyn Bridge in protest.

The MTA said Friday it heard them "loud and clear." It says it believes children shouldn't have to pay to travel to school. It says it's been trying to save money by reducing administrative staff and overtime and renegotiating with suppliers.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A body was found in the wooded area 1 Body found in wooded area near Eastchester bowling alley
NYPD officers gathered Friday in Longwood for the 2 NYPD officers walk for autism in Longwood
News 12 asked viewers what they thought about 3 Hudson Valley Talks Trump: First 100 days
News 12 asked viewers what they thought of 4 Connecticut Talks Trump: First 100 Days
A kid from the Bronx is one of 5 Actor from the Bronx stars in '13 Reasons Why'

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE