New York Post reports 1st lawsuit filed in fatal East Harlem explosion

NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 12: Heavy smoke pours from the debris as the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) responds to a 5-alarm fire and building collapse at 1646 Park Ave in the Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan March 12, 2014 in New York City. Reports of an explosion were heard before the collapse of two multiple-dwelling buildings that left at least 11 injured. (Photo by Andrew Burton/Getty Images) (3/18/14)

MANHATTAN - The first civil lawsuit has been filed over last week's apparent gas explosion in East Harlem. 

According to the New York Post, a 46-year-old woman who lives more than a block away from the site is suing Con Edison and the owner of one of the collapsed buildings. The lawsuit claims the woman fell in her apartment, and suffered "severe and permanent injuries" during the blast. 

Con Edison says it has not seen the suit, and could not comment. 

Read More: Bronx Top Stories

The medical examiner has meanwhile said that those killed died of either smoke inhalation, trauma or burns, and ruled all eight deaths as accidental. More than 70 others were injured. 

Authorities believe a gas leak is to blame, but an investigation into the exact cause is ongoing. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12