NYC to drop appeal of federal judge's order requiring reforms to stop-and-frisk
Related mediaMayor de Blasio announcement on stop-and-frisk reforms
THE BRONX - Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Thursday that the city will drop an appeal made under the previous mayoral administration after a judge ordered changes to the police department's stop-and-frisk policy.
Last year, a federal judge ordered reforms to the controversial policy, ruling that it discriminated against blacks and Hispanics. Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg appealed the decision, but de Blasio now says that appeal will be withdrawn, paving the way for reform.
NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton says reforms to the policy are essential to strengthen the police's relationship with the community.
Read More: Bronx Top Stories
De Blasio says that for three years, the city will also appoint an independent monitor to ensure changes are carried out.
For the complete announcement, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612.