THE BRONX - The NYPD officer who shot and killed an unarmed Bronx teenager has pleaded not guilty to first- and second-degree manslaughter charges.
Richard Haste, 30, was arraigned at the Bronx County Hall of Justice in connection with the death of 18-year-old Ramarley Graham in February. His bail has been set at $50,000.
Graham was pursued by officers during a neighborhood drug crackdown and shot in his Wakefield home. In the months since, Graham's family and friends have protested for justice, demanding that the NYPD take responsibility and charge the officers involved.
The teen's parents spoke exclusively to News 12 The Bronx Tuesday, saying that they've been waiting for this day, but that it's not a wonderful feeling.
Fellow police officers and members of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association also flooded the courthouse in a show of support for Haste. In a statement earlier this week, the union said it believes he will be exonerated at trial.
A lawyer for the Graham family says the next obstacle is the trial, with some arguing for a change in venue or for the case to be heard with a jury.
Haste is due back in court in September. To watch the entire NYPD press conference on Ramarley Graham's death, click on iO Extra on Channel 612.
NYPD officer indicted in death of Ramarley GrahamProtests continue for unarmed BX teen shot by policeFamily of slain Bronx teen to hold weekly vigilsBronx DA addresses Ramarley Graham caseFuneral services held for Ramarley GrahamNYPD officer in fatal shooting put on restricted dutyPolice: BX teen fatally shot in drug arrest gone wrong