NYS Education Department to implement new teacher evaluation system for next school year

A new evaluation system will change the way teachers in the city are determined eligible for tenure or termination. The New York State Education Department

Rather than the pass/fail system used now, teachers will be deemed highly effective, effective, satisfactory or ineffective.

Rather than the pass/fail system used now, teachers will be deemed highly effective, effective, satisfactory or ineffective. (6/3/13)

THE BRONX - A new evaluation system will change the way teachers in the city are determined eligible for tenure or termination.

The New York State Education Department is implementing the changes since the NYC Department of Education and the United Federation of Teachers could not come to an agreement after two years of negotiations.

The new policy judges 40 percent of a teacher's grade based on student performance, including standardized test scores. The remaining 60 percent is calculated based on in-class observations by a school's principal.

The new policy will take effect for the 2013-14 school year.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks 1 VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks neighbors
Con Edison has offered a few tips you 2 Con Ed offers storm safety tips
Police have made an arrest in connection with 3 Police arrest man accused of hiding body parts at Hunts Point waste station
Norwood residents are advocating for more security and 4 Residents demand better security, lighting after man beaten in lobby
Man loses finger after machete attack in the 5 Man loses finger after machete attack in the Bronx

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

The state's education commissioner says the new system State Dept. of Education to overhaul teacher evaluations

Starting next school year, the way New York City evaluates its public school teachers will

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE