Officials: Boy playing with lighter started fatal BX blaze

A great grandmother is dead because a boy playing with a lighter started a raging blaze in the Bronx Saturday, fire officials say.Responders were able

THE BRONX - A great grandmother is dead because a boy playing with a lighter started a raging blaze in the Bronx Saturday, fire officials say.Responders were able to save 67-year-old Carmen Davila from 1136 Croes Ave., but they say she succumbed to injuries at Jacobi Medical Center.

"I couldn't do nothing. I was nothing. I wish I could have gone into the basement to get my mother, but I couldn't," the distraught victim's daughter, Marian Davila, said.

Witnesses say at least seven people jumped from the second and third floors, but no one suffered serious injuries.

The Davilas say out-of-town relatives were visiting and preparing for a birthday party when the fire broke out. The family is now planning a funeral instead of a celebration. Neighbors plan to honor the victim by lighting candles.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks 1 VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks neighbors
Videos from inside the halls and classrooms of 2 Videos capture violent fights inside M.S. 232
Neighborhood Brief for Jan. 22 3 Neighborhood Brief for Jan. 22
Police have made an arrest in connection with 4 Police arrest man accused of hiding body parts at Hunts Point waste station
Witnesses say someone tried to snatch a baby 5 Witness: Suspect attempts to abduct baby from stroller

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE