WASHINGTON - (AP) The U.S. government plans to interrogate a suspected Libyan al-Qaida figure nabbed by U.S. special forces in a dramatic operation in Tripoli.
Abu Anas al-Libi was living freely in his homeland for the past two years, after a trajectory that took him to Sudan, Afghanistan and Iran, where he had been detained for years, his family said Sunday. The Libyan government bristled at the raid, asking Washington to explain the "kidnapping."
The swift Delta Force operation in the streets of the Libyan capital that seized the militant was one of two assaults Saturday that showed an American determination to move directly against terror suspects - even in two nations mired in chaos where the U.S. has suffered deadly humiliations in the past.
Hours before the Libya raid, a Navy SEAL team swam ashore in the East African nation of Somalia and engaged in a fierce firefight, though it did not capture its target, a leading militant in the al-Qaida-linked group that carried out the recent Kenyan mall siege.
"We hope that this makes clear that the United States of America will never stop in the effort to hold those accountable who conduct acts of terror," U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Sunday at an economic summit in Indonesia. "Members of al-Qaida and other terrorist organizations literally can run but they can't hide."
Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, known by his alias Abu Anas al-Libi, was accused by the U.S. of involvement in the 1998 bombings of the U.S. Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya, which killed more than 220 people. He has been on the FBI's most wanted terrorists list since it was introduced shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 attack, with a $5 million bounty on his head.