Timeline of events from Metro-North train derailment near Spuyten Duyvil station

Sunday's derailment left four people dead and 63 injured.

Sunday's derailment left four people dead and 63 injured. (12/2/13)

THE BRONX - Following the aftermath of the fatal Metro-North train derailment in the Bronx, News 12 brings you a timeline of the events that occurred Sunday morning.

At 5:54 a.m. a commuter train on Metro-North's Hudson line left the Poughkeepsie station in Dutchess County with more than 100 passengers headed to Grand Central Station. The train was scheduled to arrive at 7:34 a.m. and was not scheduled to stop in the Bronx.

At approximately 7:22 a.m., the train approached a bend near the Spuyten Duyvil station. The MTA chairman says that all of the cars derailed, with at least four of them ending up completely off the tracks. The first car fell short of the edge of the Hudson River. For a period of time following the crash, EMS had difficulty getting to the crash site due to officials having to wait for power on the tracks to be cut off.

Nearing the end of the 8 a.m. hour, all passengers involved in the derailment were cleared from the scene. More than 130 FDNY members assisted in the rescue effort.

After 9 a.m., it was confirmed that four people were killed during the incident, with another 63 hurt. Those injured were sent to at least three hospitals in the Bronx and New York Presbyterian in Manhattan. Divers scanned the water and K-9 units searched the site for passengers possibly ejected from the train.

During the 10 a.m. hour, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly and Gov. Cuomo were on the scene to give a press conference, discussing the latest on the rescue efforts. The MTA's website warned Hudson line customers to expect indefinite delays, and it suspended Hudson line service. By this time, the National Transportation and Safety Board was heading to the crash site prepared to conduct a thorough investigation.

After 11 a.m., the White House released a statement saying President Obama sends his thoughts and prayers to the victims of the derailment. Relief centers were also popping up where the injured were being treated, and where loved ones can receive more information about friends and family.

At around 12:30 p.m., the NTSB was on-scene conducting the early stages of its investigation.

By 3 p.m., the MTA had resumed partial service on its Hudson line.

Investigations are currently ongoing.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A study says 88 percent of walking trips 1 Word on the Street: Walking with GPS
VIDEO: Bronx restaurant owner attacked, robbed in apartment 2 VIDEO: Bronx restaurant owner attacked, robbed in apartment building
VIDEO: Suspected gang members arrested in the Bronx 3 VIDEO: Suspected gang members arrested in the Bronx
Sea Cliff's Troy Ramey was voted off 'The 4 Elisa's Entertainment for 4/26
5 VIDEO: Brooklyn Botanic Garden to host annual Sakura Matsuri Festival

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

The Harlem and New Haven lines are running, Influx of commuters expected on 1 line after derailment

Commuters are facing crowding and delays after Sunday's fatal Metro-North train derailment near the Spuyten

Crews investigate the derailed Metro-North train in the 4 victims identified in Metro-North train derailment

MTA officials have identified the four people who were killed this morning when a Metro-North

Commuters, who were on a train that derailed JFK H.S. set up as resource center after train derails

Officials set up a designated family resource center at JFK High School in the Bronx

Dozens of injured passengers were rushed to area Passengers rushed to area hospitals following derailment

Dozens of injured passengers were rushed to area hospitals following Sunday morning's Metro-North train derailment

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.