Trial begins for man accused of killing 15 in I-95 bus crash

THE BRONX - Opening arguments have begun in the manslaughter trial for the man accused of killing 15 people in an I-95 bus crash last year.

Ophadell Williams has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and negligent homicide. Prosecutors said he drove the bus despite being seriously sleep-deprived. The district attorney said that he'll be using phone records to show Williams was awake when he should have been resting. Meanwhile, the defense attorney says the case has no merit.

The bus Williams was driving ran off the Cross Bronx Expressway as it was returning from an overnight trip to a Connecticut casino. Williams said he was cut off by a tractor-trailer, but the National Transportation Safety Board said in June that the crash was probably caused by driver fatigue. Williams maintains that he was not fatigued at the time of the crash.

Driver behind wheel in fatal I-95 bus crash back in courtDriver behind wheel in fatal I-95 tour bus crash due in court

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A body was found in the wooded area 1 Body found in wooded area near Eastchester bowling alley
April 28 is Superhero Day. News 12 hit 2 Word on the Street: Superhero Day
NYPD officers gathered Friday in Longwood for the 3 NYPD officers walk for autism in Longwood
A kid from the Bronx is one of 4 Actor from the Bronx stars in '13 Reasons Why'
A 3-year-old girl died after a car accident 5 3-year-old killed in crash on Bruckner Boulevard

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE