Williamsbridge building evacuated after CO scare

Nearly 70 tenants of an apartment building on 225th Street were evacuated Wednesday morning after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected.In addition to the

WILLIAMSBRIDGE - Nearly 70 tenants of an apartment building on 225th Street were evacuated Wednesday morning after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected.

In addition to the occupants of the building, two stores located on White Plains Road were also evacuated as a precaution. Firefighters monitored CO levels at other nearby buildings, including a nursing home, which were not evacuated.

Fire officials say the dangerous CO levels were caused by burning cables underneath 225th Street.

?Our units determined very quickly that there was a heavy buildup of carbon monoxide in the basement of the building itself,? says Deputy Fire Chief Thomas Dunne.

Tenants who were forced out of their apartments into the cold morning air took refuge inside a parked city bus before returning to their homes Wednesday afternoon. EMS workers who were on the scene say no illnesses related to the high CO levels were reported.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: NYPD officers in same precinct discover they 1 VIDEO: NYPD officers in same precinct discover they are sisters
News 12 the Bronx hit the streets to 2 Word on the Street: Paying for reserved parking
VIDEO: Defense closing arguments in Mall at Short 3 VIDEO: Defense closing arguments in Mall at Short Hills murder trial
The report found that NYCHA is failing to 4 Report: NYCHA lagging in arresting criminals on site
The Brooklyn Public Library unveiled its 5 Brooklyn Public Library gets 'wild' with new cards

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE